self portraits (100 head challenge)


I've always enjoyed the self-portrait. I say it's because I'm always a willing reference and I know that's definitely part of it but since people have asked me why I'm my own reference so often, I've thought of a couple other reasons.
One is that I have and do feel a sense of dissociation. This is in fact a real disorder called "dissociative identity disorder," which I don't think I have, at least not currently. However, rendering myself gives me a chance to get to know myself and to get to know difference sides of myself. To experience myself from the outside. A bit like Chuck Close, who experiences Prosopagnosia, which is the inability to recognize faces, and who paints faces in very small dot like increments in the hopes that having successfully portrayed the entire face, he will be able to simulate recognition, I find that drawing myself eases up on this feeling of dissociation. To be clear, it is not an unpleasant experience, and is simply how I experience the world. I experience other parts of the world as an experiment and am able to divorce myself from the heat of their emotions and experience apply the same mental state as a science experiment, allowing me at once to take data from my surroundings without experiencing it f them firsthand, and to experience my surroundings as a face should be experienced when drawing it - without the familiarity of recognition, so that the lines, forms, colors etc. becomes just that (lines, colors, forms etc.) and which is the desired mental state to produce an accurate rendition.

Popular Posts