White Male Date Deck



Behold what you've all been waiting for...the white male date deck! Perhaps you didn't know you were waiting for it but now...here it is!

I worked on this deck cumulatively for about a year now. First I had to do all the illustrations which took me quite a while. I've posted my finished watercolors of all the dates as I went along.

Then, just this past weekend, I really got down to making the actual deck. I used a frame to make it look more tarot-like and I named each one which was difficult. The names have nothing to do with the people they're based on if you're reading this incredulously as one of the people represented here and in fact were chosen based on negative stereotypes of white men that one might go on dates with. I've been told that there isn't much diversity to the "type" that I choose and this deck certainly shows it, however I felt that turned out to be an advantage in making this as there is something else in common between them besides my having met them.

As you can see here, I was having quite a difficult time concentrating and did two things I hate - first - drank tea. I made Gotu Kola which is supposed to help with concentration and mental clarity although it didn't say it helps in tea form and to be honest, I don't think it did much of anything except taste disgusting. 

The other thing I did was clean my entire desk off, even moving papers to the floor so I could have a nice big clean surface to work on, hoping having a neat work area would make up for the clutter in my mind. As you can see, my tea, the laptop, and the paper where I was writing the descriptions for each card for the booklet are on my desk and nothing else. 



When all else fails, I find it helps to write things out with my hand and a pen which helps me not feel pressured to think faster than my hand can move (my hand can move a lot faster with a keyboard than a pen). So as you can see, I tried that next.




I even cut out the little cards so I could tape them to the book where they would go, although in the actual booklet, they're right next to the description and take up a whole page instead of a little tiny space. However, this did help and I managed, while holding perfectionism at bay, to write all 45 or so descriptions!

Popular Posts